西安交通大学19年5月补考《英语4(新录)》作业考核试题

西安交通大学19年5月补考《英语4(新录)》作业考核试题
1.[单选题]----___is your girl friend like?----She is very kind and good-looking
    A.How
    B.What
    C.Which
    D.Who
    正确答案:——B——
2.[单选题]Our director had (             ) on the matter for a long time before he made the decision.
    A.hushed
    B.thrashed
    C.pondered
    D.suspended
    正确答案:——C——
3.[单选题]His total worldly possessions (            ) little more than the clothes he stood up in.
    A.amounted to
    B.settled for
    C.turned up
    D.came at
    正确答案:——A——
4.[单选题]After her husband died, she ___ another man in 1964.
    A.married
    B.married with
    C.married to
    D.was married to
    正确答案:————
5.[单选题]—How are you, Bob?—             Ted.
    A.How are you?
    B.I’m fine. Thank you
    C.How do you do?
    D.Nice to meet you.
6.[单选题]Their refusal to compromise is a major (             )that stands in the way of further peace talks.
    A.obstacle
    B.complication
    C.entity
    D.hazard
7.[单选题]—Marilyn, I'm afraid I have to be leaving now. —
    A.That sounds wonderful
    B.Oh,so early?
    C.Not at a11.
    D.Good luck!
8.[单选题]He should (             ) what he's good at, and no switch to something he knows nothing about.
    A.take on
    B.stick to
    C.go after
    D.live on
9.[单选题]AIDS activists permanently changed and shortened America's (            ) process for testing and approving new drugs of all kinds, for all disease.
    A.efficient
    B.stagnant
    C.intricate
    D.appropriate
10.[单选题]This course focuses on the (            )of economic analysis to the problems of inflation, unemployment, the balance of payments and enterprise behavior.
    A.conception
    B.combination
    C.application
    D.introduction
11.[单选题]He was healthy (            ) and (                ) .
    A.physical, mental
    B.physically, mentally
    C.body, mind
    D.bodily, mindedly
12.[单选题]The aircraft base is protected with specially designed shelters which are built to (            )ground and air attacks.
    A.launch
    B.withstand
    C.contest
    D.contend
13.[单选题]Would you like something ______________?
    A.drink
    B.to drink
    C.drinking
    D.for drinking
14.[单选题]I'm pleased to hear of your job offer-all that hard work at school has obviously (            ).
    A.paid off
    B.taken its toll
    C.make a difference
    D.shown up
15.[单选题]—Why didn’t you come to my birthday party yesterday?—
    A.Excuse me, my friend sent me a flower
    B.Fine, I never go to birthday parties
    C.Ha…ha, I don’t like birthday parties
    D.Sorry, but my wife had a car accident
16.[单选题]----The baby is hungry. ----But there’s ___milk in the bottle.
    A.little
    B.a little
    C.few
    D.a few
17.[单选题]Under normal circumstances the body can (             ) these naturally occurring substances into vitamins.
    A.convert
    B.render
    C.derive
    D.originate
18.[单选题]This overcoat cost ___________. What's more, they are __________small for me.
    A.very much; very
    B.too much; much too
    C.much too; too much
    D.very much; too much
19.[单选题]This disease (            )in Africa but now spread to many parts of the world.
    A.derived
    B.originated
    C.sparkled
    D.dwelled
20.[单选题]一___is your girl friend like?
一 She is very kind and good-looking
    A.How
    B.What
    C.Which
    D.Who
21.[单选题]Anyone caught (             ) an offense will be punished.
    A.committing
    B.conducting
    C.executing
    D.performing
22.[单选题]—Hi, Tom, how’s everything with you?—          , and how are you?
    A.Don’t mention it
    B.Hmm, not too bad
    C.Thanks
    D.Pretty fast
23.[单选题]—That’s a beautiful dress you have on!—
    A.Oh, thanks. I got it yesterday
    B.Sorry, it’s too cheap
    C.You can have it
    D.See you later.
24.[单选题]I won’t make the ___mistake next time.
    A.like
    B.same
    C.near
    D.similar
25.[单选题]Due to his recent failure to meet the deadline, Jason is (             ) from the list for promotion.
    A.eliminated
    B.retreated
    C.pried
    D.wrenched
26.[阅读理解]It has been reported that in colleges across the United States, the daytime serial drama known as the soap opera has suddenly become "in". Between the hours of 11 a.m. and 4:30 p.m, college television lounges are filled with soap opera fans who can't wait to see the next episode in the lives of their favorite characters.Actually, soaps are more than a college favorite; they're a youth favorite. When school is out, high-school students are in front of their TV sets. One young working woman admitted that she turned down a higher paying job rather than give up watching her favorite serials. During the 1960's, it was uncommon for young people to watch soap operas. The mood of the sixties was very different from now. It was a time of seriousness, and talk was about social issues of great importance.Now, seriousness has been replaced by fun. Young people want to be happy. It may seem strange that they should turn to soap opera, which is known for showing trouble in people's lives. But soap opera is enjoyment. Young people can identify with the soap opera character, who, like the college-age viewer, is looking for happy love, and probably not finding it. And soap opera gives young people a chance to feel close to people without having to bear any responsibility for their problems.
(1)What is soap opera? ______
A.Plays based on science fiction stories.
B.Plays based on non-fiction stories.
C.The daytime serial dramas on TV.
D.Popular documentary films on TV.
(2)What can be the best title of the passage? ______
A. College student viewers.
B. Favorite TV serials.
C.Soap opera fans.
D.College-age viewers.
(3)Which is not the reason why the soap opera suddenly becomes "in" according to the passage? _______
A.Because the viewers want to be happy and to enjoy themselves.
B.Because the soap opera makes young people feel close to their people.
C.Because the viewers can find themselves in the soap opera characters.
D.Because the young people have to bear the responsibilities for their troubles.
(4)What can we learn from the passage? ______
A.College students like soap operas more than any other social groups.
B.Young people of sixties liked soap operas more than people today.
C.Young viewers have turned themselves from the seriousness of sixties to enjoyment now.
D.The young as a whole are trying to look for happy love but in vain.
(5)What message does the author want to convey to us? _____
A.The people's favor toward drama works has been changed for a long time.
B.The people's favor toward drama works changes along with the times.
C.The people's favor toward drama works is changed by the soap opera.
D.The people's favor has changed the drama works.
    正确答案:————27.[阅读理解]How men first learnt to invent words is unknown; in other words, the origin of language is a mystery. All we really known is that men, unlike animals, somehow invented certain sounds to express thought and feelings, actions, and things, so that they could communicate with each other; and that later they agreed upon certain signs, called letters, which could be combined to represent those sounds, and which could be written down. Those sounds, whether spoken or written in letters, we call words.   The power of words, then, lies in their associations - the things they bring up before our minds. Words become filled with meaning for us by experience; and the longer we live, the more certain words recall to us the glad and sad events of our past; and the more we read and learn, the more the number of words that mean something to us increases.   Great writers are those who not only have great thoughts but also express these thoughts in words which appeal powerfully to our minds and emotions. This charming and telling use of words is what we call literary style. Above all, the real poet is a master of words. He can convey his meaning in words which sing like music and which by their position and association can move men to tears. We should therefore learn to choose our words carefully and use them accurately, or they will make our speech silly and vulgar.
(1)The origin of language is __________
A.a legend handed down from the past
B.a matter that is hidden or secret.
C.a question difficult to answer.
D.a problem not yet solved.
(2)What is true about words? ___________
A.They are used t to express feelings only.
B.They can not be written down
C.They are simply sounds.
D.They are mysterious
(3)The real power of words lies in their __________.
A.properties
B.characteristics
C.peculiarity
D.representative function
(4)By “association”, the author means __________.
A.a special quality
B.a joining of ideas in the mind.
C.an appearance which is puzzling.
D.a strange feature.
(5)Which of the following statements about the real poet is NOT true? ________
A.He is no more than a master of words.
B.He can convey his ideas in words which sing like music.
C.He can move men to tears.
D.His style is always charming.
    正确答案:————28.[阅读理解]Long, long ago there was a very foolish thief. Do you know what he did one day? When he wanted to steal the bell on his neighbor's door, he walked up to the door, took hold of the bell and pulled hard. The bell made a very loud noise. The thief was afraid and went home.#Then he sat down to think, "I must do something about the noise," he said. He thought and thought. At last he had an idea. "Ah, I'll put some cotton in my ears. Then I won't be able to hear the noise." The next day he went to the door of his neighbor, and took hold of the bell. This time he pulled even harder. The bell rang loudly, but the thief did not hear anything. With another hard pull he got the bell out. Just then the neighbor came running out."Steal my bell? I'll teach you a lesson," the angry man shouted. And he hit the thief on the nose.The foolish thief did not know how the neighbor found out he was stealing the bell. "Why did he come out just then?" he wondered.
(1)The thief was trying to get his neighbor's doorbell.
A.T
B.F
(2)The thief put some cotton in his ears so as not to hear anything
A.T
B.F
(3)The neighbor ran out probably because he knew his doorbell was being stolen.
A.T
B.F
(4)The neighbor hit the thief to punish him for stealing.
A.T
B.F
(5)The thief thought the neighbor couldn't hear the noise of the bell.
A.T
B.F
    正确答案:————29.[完型填空]Homesickness is very common among students away from home — even those who had previously been away at overnight camp or traveled far away. There is a difference between being away from home for eight weeks and being gone for eight months. There is also a difference between## home for a while (knowing you will be going back) and leaving##(knowing you may never return). Feeling homesick does not make you less mature or mean you are not ready to be##. If you feel homesick, talk to your friends at school about it. ##they are feeling the same way.##family and friends back home, but make sure you ##new relationships at school. If your homesickness does not##and does not seem to be getting better after a few months at school, speaking with an adviser might help. Also, remember that going home for the first visit may be difficult##changes in yourself or your family. Old conflicts do not just disappear once you go to college, and new ones may##. Again, if things are too stressful for you##handle alone, talk to an adviser
(1)
A.abandoning
B.leaving
C.being away
D.heading for
(2)
A.forever
B.temporarily
C.for a short time
D.all the time